Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Saving turtles





I have a reputation as a turtle saver.

The box turtles I saved at Turtle Crossing.
That cranky snapping turtle on State Road 3.

When I spotted the box turtle on 125 West today I was glad I had just read the blog by Mike on America by Bicycle in Michigan.

I decided it was better to encourage initiative in this reptile. I always wanted my kids to be independent, why not turtles?

So, instead of swooping down and flying him unturtle-like to the other side, I shuffled him.

I scooted my bike shoes behind him and scared him so he - under his own power -  scuttled to the other side into the safety of the grass.


I have a certain fondness for turtles.

Maybe it's because we go the same speed.

5 comments:

KC SW said...

awww turtles are so cute =) and yes you guys are very similar hehe

Unknown said...

Better a turtle than a snail?

Unknown said...

Great save. As long as it is safe, it is probably better to guide a turtle across the road on its own volition. Box turtles are in decline nation wide, and the loss of just one individual can devastate an entire population. Always get to the cross in the direction they are headed, and make sure they are well off the road and out of view of the road. Unfortunately, there are a few people that will swerve off the road to hit them and folks that have a "finders keepers" mentality.

Great work!!!

Jean Weedman said...

This sounds like my life!!! except for the LONG bike ride. We planted prairies on our land. I am working to rescue local turtle populations with road signs on two highways that parallel the Mukwonago River and Jericho Creek, critical habitat areas for those nesting females that are crossing the roads from May through July. Good luck on your work! Nice to know that there are others doing so much to help the earth.

Unknown said...

My local wildlife biologist now tells me they didn't realize there were any box turtles left on our part of Indiana.
Hopefully the one I saved will find a mate.

We have talked about putting in a wetlands on our property in that area. Maybe we need to do that.