Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lightning!











I don't mind getting wet...



I do mind getting electrocuted...

That's why I started out early Wednesday morning.
I knew storms were predicted.

But I figured I could finish my 33 fast miles before the storms hit.

Last minute change in direction when I realized the winds were coming from the east.



I would be heading out to the country north and east of Fishers today.

I like biking in the countryside.

I stopped for a breather at the fishing pond.



I didn't catch any fish, but loved the bench.





Next door a small family graveyard.




Some people aren't remembered by name...





Then off to Pendleton - quick turnaround and I'm heading back home.
It was sprinkling...

No biggie.

I've gotten wet before.

But when I saw the flash of lightning and heard thunder I headed for shelter - pronto!

I've been told if you're out in the open when lightning strikes you should find a ditch and lie down in it so you are low to the ground.

Sounds crazy - because usually if there is lightning, it's raining and you'll probably drown in the danged ditch.

Better advice - I've been told to crouch down as low as you can on the balls of your feet so you have less contact with the ground.

Better advice - find a farmhouse.

I've had very good luck with Indiana farmers.

I've found shelter on their front porches during many a storm.

And they've been gracious.

Or in this case, not home.

I sheltered for almost on hour on this wide porch -watching the cars swoosh the puddles on the road...
...the rain drip off their hammock rack...

...the drops shining on their garden flowers.

I had the company of their stone gnome.

But I checked the Droid and the bulk of the storm was headed my way...
...and I was chilling.

I don't mind getting wet...
if I can keep biking and keep my heart rate up.

But if I stop - the wet soaks through to a bone- chattering chill.

I called my loving husband Tom to come rescue me.

I huddled in the corner of that porch
avoiding the least little breeze that would shiver my skin.

I was miserable.

I called Tom twice who was taking the long way around to find me.

I talked to the old rotten pumpkin to take my mind off the cold rain trickling down my back.

Finally Tom pulled into the driveway!

I scampered into the Highlander and watched the rain on the windshield as Tom threw the bike in the back.

Home to a hot shower and bed...

to finish the mornings blog.

The sky cleared.

And I realized I had a window of opportunity before the next storm.

So back on the bike to finish my last 8 miles.



Am I crazy or what?













It must run in the family.

6 comments:

KC SW said...

you are definitely a weirdo!

Jay S. Hardcastle said...

Glad this was your "taper" ride!

Unknown said...

I don't taper well. :)

Edwin Steussy said...

If I remember correctly, by riding a bike your only grond connection is through the two wheels on the ground. Since the wheels are rubber (or some non-conducting resin), then you should be in no danger of lightning while riding a bike.

I'll admit that may seem pretty intellectual while riding around and a tree gets hit near you ...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Unfortunately the tires must not be protective...

from the National Weather Service...

Virginia Beach, VA: Motorcyclist killed while traveling on Route 58.
Colorado: a 16 year old boy killed while riding a bicycle.
Virginia: a man killed riding his motorcycle.

Besides if it hit a tree near me I'd have a heart attack.

Better to go for shelter....