Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Century Number 5






The morning
started
so
peacefully.



Tom
taking Kitty
for a walk
in the
backyard...




The serviceberry
TJ got me
for my birthday
was just beginning
to form
red delicious berries
for the birds...







The Red-wing eggs
were waiting
to hatch...













Our backyard prairie
was full
of excitement
for a curious
kitty.....











And we found
a single
golden Alexander
beginning
to
bloom.










But no more time to backyard browse... I had a century to ride!

One thing I love about biking..
and there are many things to love about it...
but one of my favorites is the chance to notice the small details in the world around you.



Cars whiz down 106th street.

Do those distracted drivers
ever notice
the small pioneer cemetery
across from Subway?












The old wrought iron fence
has
such character.

One day I saw a teenage boy leaning against a tombstone reading a book. A peaceful moment in a crowded city.




Out in the country
I read the signs
and
wonder
at the grammar...








...and the spelling.




I've always wanted to stop and peruse the stone statuary for sale...
...such odd art.



It looks like a scene from the Chronicles of Narnia.



From horses going every which way...



... to a
 sad looking
 Rottweiler...

















They
have
something
for
everyone...



I love biking
out in the country -
noticing
the corn crop
just beginning  to grow.

And
in a neglected
corner....





... a
whole bevy
of
golden
Alexanders!




But the sky
was starting
to
glower.




Time
to head home,
the day is getting
darker.


I have to stop
and raise my feet -
on these warm wet days
they swell and hurt.

They sometimes need
a spot of gravity
to
ease
the
pain.





But now yes!

It is really raining!


Twenty miles to go,
but, you know,
there is a thrill
to biking
in the
rain!


(when it's warm)



The cars splash by
raising puddles
across my soaking frame.

The streets are flooding.




That thin strip of rain on my Droid's weather.com is bigger and heavier than it looks on the small screen.





But I soldier on  -
braving the storm,
dodging the streams of water pouring down
the shoulder
of the roadway....
hoping my bright yellow jacket
is visible
to the busy drivers.

Finally, I see home!





The pedals spin madly
as I spot
my husband
standing out in the rain
under an umbrella
to capture
my
return
home...











105 miles today.









It was a very good day.




1 comment:

KC SW said...

you found Medusa's garden! lol and nice rain pictures you must have had a good camera to take those =D however you failed to mention the wonderful steak dinner you had that night =)