Pages

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thunderheart








Tom likes action flicks.
I go for drama - no violence.

We have trouble finding a movie to watch.

But this weekend, in my quest to immerse myself in things pertaining to The Big Bike Ride, I happened across a movie that fit the bill.

Thunderheart, with Val Kilmer, set in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Excellent movie for the scenery. And for a glimpse into the situation of Native Americans - life on the rez as they say. Plenty of action for Tom; dramatic scenery and characters for me.

Even Tom enjoyed the wise old Indian with his weathered face and mysterious words.

He reminded me of the old ad from the 70s - the Indian with the single tear running down his rugged cheek. What was that an ad for?

As I scour my atlas for our route across America I see frequent Indian reservations - in Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming and South Dakota. Odd that I come from a state named for the Native Americans, but I know none. Other than Jim Bruchac from the Family Nature Summits.

The scenery of Thunderheart is amazing. I had read about the Black Hills, about the badlands - I knew the area was sacred to the Indians - hence the vortex of Little Big Horn, Wounded Knee, and the newly proposed country of Lakotah.

I can't wait to see it all from the seat of my bicycle.

4 comments:

KC SW said...

if you need something to watch with dad just watch Buffy =D but i'm planning on watching Independence Day and Jurassic Park 1 + 2 with dad =)

crsteussy said...

The Blackhills and the Badlands are extraordinary. Is "I will Fight No More Forever" on your booklist? Story of the Nez Perce set in Idaho. Worth a look.
Watched "Food Inc." last night. If you haven't seen it it should be on your short list.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Just ordered I WIll Fight No More from Amazon. Thanks.

Watched Food inc. this summer with Al. Joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). Al has us very involved in the local foods movement.