Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Dipping the tires!






The official start of a bike ride across America...

...the dipping of the tires in the Pacific Ocean!





The Astoria sky drizzled...

...as the bikers gathered.





Their energy brightened the day.





...setting the Cat-eye.








Clipping in the pedals...



...and off they go...




Katie was the last to head to the ocean...

...except for me...




.... left back at the hotel waiting for Alex.





She was having breakfast with our wonderful long lost relatives who had come to Astoria to see us off....



...while I waited....







Finally Al joined me and we headed off to the west...




...to the Pacific!

It was an easy 8 miles...

....with a stop at a bakery to get a cinnamon roll.



We got to the ocean...

...alone.

No bikers.







Only a family on horseback to witness our great event...




...and I balked.

I looked at my bike, Ripley...

...just a month ago she sparkled....





...now mud and grime...




I thought about the sand and salt water damaging her delicate parts.

And I stopped short of the beach.




Al was not so squeamish.

She hoisted Blue Jay onto her shoulder and charged across the sand.

Laughing with the thrill of the moment.







The dip!

The official start to the ride...




As we cheered, I pulled out my cinnamon roll to celebrate.

- Mom, why do you eat the edge first?
The middle is the best.

- I like to save the best for last...
... so my last taste is the sweet center.

Al, in her worldly wisdom, told me...
 - I used to do that.
I saved the red skittles for last.

But then something might happen - like they might fall on the ground.
Then I would have missed the best part.







Like a sign from above, a gust of wind - I kid you not - whooshed down that moment...


... and knocked my lovely cinnamon roll onto the gravel.


A lesson to remember....



....life is short...


.....so eat dessert first.


And if you have a dream....

....like to bike across America...

                               ...do it now!

3 comments:

B.Banks said...

At last...the journey begins! Go get'm Helen and Al.

Anonymous said...

i love the stats and the map and the pics. its awesome! why does it say your miles today are 49 instead of 69?

KC SW said...

you guys got a crepe!!! =( i'm sooo jealous!