Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Gear for the bike ride - gloves






Why - when I'm late for work - can I only find four left hand gloves?

The heck with statistics - shouldn't 1/2 the gloves I find be right-handed?




Is there a right hand thief in my house?

Can I catch him right-red-handed?

I can't bike without gloves...




...even if I have to wear a lefty on my righty like I did this morning.

On frosty days I need them to keep my fingertips warm.





If I crash - which I haven't done since Al tried to hand me the water bottle after biking 70+ miles and our two wheels interlocked and we went down - if I crash, the gloves protect the delicate skin over my knuckles..

..and the sensitive skin on the palm of my hands.



Most often, though, I need my gloves to protect me from tingling.

Being a doctor I know about those nerve bundles that course through the center of your wrist then spray out to serve your fingers.

Being a biker I know what it feels like when that nerve bundle gets pinched for a 17 hour bike ride.
Ooow!



Oh, I move my hands a lot.

The advantage of these really cool curvacious handlebars is lots of hand positions.
Up, down, sideways, every which way.

But about mile 150 or so, nothing can take away that stinging sensation in your fingertips.




I can't imagine what would happen if I didn't have my padded gloves!

Besides that lovely biker glove tan line tells the world who I am...






...even those rare times you find me not on a bicycle.

4 comments:

KC SW said...

bad kitty he doesn't like being pet =P

Anonymous said...

Not only could I not find my gloves this morning, somebody took all the padding out of my helmet! I'm pretty sure who the thief is, but if my suspicions are correct I'll have a hard time getting her to tell me where they are as she hasn't really learned to talk yet.
CRS

Unknown said...

In my house if the padding was missing from the helmet we'd blame a Rottweiler...but since you expect your thief to learn to talk, I would guess Solana.

jennilee said...

Beautiful Pictures!Thanks for sharing!