Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Leaving Wyoming


And I read across America in preparation for the bike across America.

It was 26 weeks when I started and 50 days of biking to read about. Each week I read about 2 days of the journey. I've read along the Columbia and the Snake Rivers, over Mt Hood and across the Idaho desert. Sometime if you're interested I can give you the full book list.

For the last 4 weeks I've read about Wyoming - wonderful adventures - mountain men and cowboys, ranchers vs farmers, geologists and Indians.

My favorite book may have been The Solace of Open Spaces by Gretel Erlich - it is absolutely poetic...
"Wyoming seems to be the doing of a mad architect - tumbled and twisted, ribboned with faded, deathbed colors, thrust up and pulled down as if the place had been startled out of a deep sleep and thrown into a pure light."

Most frightening to me are the vivid descriptions of the wind in Wyoming. If there is one thing a biker loves it's a tailwind, but a wind from the other direction is to be dreaded.

But now I move on to South Dakota.

No comments: