Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 46 - Liverpool to Little Falls NY...and back






Crisis!

My camera is missing!

I have torn the hotel room upside down
and no camera!

How can I bike
without
a
camera?








Well, luckily I have a spare.

When I bought the G11 for this trip, I kept my old G9 and brought it with me.

But my G11 has all my photos I've taken since Astoria!

And I haven't downloaded all of them yet.

I must have left it at dinner last night -  and the steak house won't open
till 11.

Must go.

Worry about it later.



Flummoxed,
 I hit the road, G9 around my neck.




It's hard to get started on today's photos.

The sky dull gray, featureless.

The camera feels odd.









The small towns
 look foreign
through
a
different
viewfinder.






Even the garden decor
takes on
a sinister look
in my altered
state
of
mind.













Tell me...

Don't you think
this is
a little bit
creepy?




OK.

Barns.

What could be
more normal
 than a barn
with a bright blue
steel
roof?


I'm calming down...

...getting into the groove.





Talk to farmer John...

He's bringing in his squash from the roadside stand.

-We have rain coming, he warns.






Better get to the SAG...

Turn right at the castle...









Get to the SAG wagon
just as
the heavens
let
loose!







I duck
under a nearby awning
and wait
for the deluge
to
slow
down.








By the time the rain
begins to let up,
we have a deluge
of cyclists
at the SAG.







Come on, Rod.

Let's get going.





As soon as we get started,
the rain starts
to come down
in
buckets
again.



The next time I see Rod
he has stopped to help
New Jersey Mark
with a flat tire.

Is Rod a great guy or what?




Smallest church in the world?

Barely big enough for a door.

I was going to skip this photo-op,
but when
I saw Todd
stopping
for this picture
I decided
it was worth
the
soaking.





Another 10 miles
of cold drizzle
down
our
backs....





Finally we find a gas station
where we can stop
to wring out
our
frazzled
hair.


Bikers love adversity, yes?





Margo looks
like she's having
a great time.









And Dan always has a smile on his face.






My route sheet is falling apart.





Even my diet coke got wet!





The next SAG is only 12 miles away.





By the time I get there the rain is letting up.

And I find my Alex.

She, too, had a flat in the pouring rain.

Changed it herself.

What a girl!




I leave quickly from the SAG.

I try to keep ahead of the group.

But when I stop to take my last picture of the Erie Canal...







...Al and Canada Jeff whoosh by me.




The rain turns to sun.

I'm in a hurry now
to get to Little Falls -
check on my
lost
camera.

This is no time for a flat.







Little Falls looks scenic...





Interesting signs distract my eye...




But I'm on a mission.
I make a quick phone call....


Yes! The steak house back in Liverpool has my camera!




I grab a taxi -
I won't tell you what it cost
- and book it
back to Liverpool
to rescue my wayward pixilator.





Pete, my taxi driver, says he can't use the a/c - he's allergic.

So I pay an arm and a leg for a two hour drive to retrieve my camera in a sweltering hot van.

Am I dedicated?

Or just crazy?





But I'm thrilled to get my camera back.

And we only have 4 more days to bike.


I'm beginning
 to think
I
will
make it!






No comments: