Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 19 - Casper Rest Day - Thank Goodness!






Finally - a rest day!

I need it!

Sleep in.












Breakfast in bed.

Try to catch up on the blog. 











Everyone does laundry.






In the meantime, what is my family doing?

They've gone to the Nature Family Summit....





This year it's in lovely Lake Tahoe...












KC and her Summit friends go rock climbing...









...and they visit Donner Pass.






TJ learns to set up a tent - it takes six of them!





...and they camp overnight...










Husband Tom goes on hikes and Dave Egan's famous geology field trips.

I sure would like to have Dave on this bike ride to explain the amazing geology we've been biking through!




Tom also enjoys getting to know new summiteers of all ages.


I miss the Summit...



All the adventures...


















getting to know a new region of our country in depth....

(in depth - get it? They were snorkling in Lake Tahoe.)





and getting to be with my whole family...


Well, next year I will for sure go to the Summit...




It will be in the Ozarks of Missouri....

unusual - we usually do one coast or the other. It will be nice to be in the midwest for a change.

And I'm going to suggest that someday we do a Summit in the Black Hills of South Dakota.







Meanwhile, Al and I visit with our friend, Robert, who lives in Casper with his wife, Starla..

They take us out for a nice lunch...








Then Robert drives us up the mountain to see the vistas of Casper...

Al and I are amazed to go up a steep mountain road with so little effort!











We get to meet Robert's dogs...














And then we relax at a salon...

I get a facial for my dried and sunburned face....








And Al gets a body wrap...

...quite the experience!








We have a nice Italian dinner...









And we walk home through downtown Casper...

enjoying their public art....











...especially this striking statue of a cowboy rescuing a calf.


















Now back to the hotel for a good night's sleep...




and back on the road tomorrow!





5 comments:

KC SW said...

the summit basically rocks =D you better be coming next year because i neeeeeed to go =P

Kris said...

Hi Dr.S.,
I'm loving following your blog and the beautiful scenary. I love the way you write, what a gift you have. I'm exhausted on your uphills and terrified at your downhills.
I know you can do this ride.
Stay Safe,
Kris C.

spearpc said...

Dear Ellen:

How much we are enjoying your lovingly written and photographed blog. And thank you for including Katie in your posts. We have no doubt that you and Al will be dipping in the Atlantic surf! Fair winds!

Frances and Charlie Spear

spearpc said...

Dear HELEN!

Typo? Spell Checker? Across the street neighbor being a physician named "Ellen"? Early dementia? Or all of the above? Please excuse!

Spears

Unknown said...

Dear Spears,
Ellen - Helen - it really doesn't matter. Actually we have an Ellen on this bike ride who bikes about my speed (slow) and is around my age (not young).

And your Katie was awesome today biking up with the thoroughbreds in the wind!