Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Is the Bike Ready?



Shipping out on Monday?!

I thought I would have 3 more days with her!





I got this new saddle - don't know if I like it yet.




And the handlebars still rub my left hand wrong.

I needed Frank!

I called him Friday - I know it's a busy time of year - I was ready to beg for a Saturday appointment.

"I'm taking a vacation day Saturday," he said.

OMG!

How can he do that?


"I'm going on the Mayor's Bike Ride Saturday morning....

but I'll come in after that."

Bless you, Frank!








It's one thing to have an annoying rub against your hand on a little tool-around Indianapolis.

But for 3,630 miles that could become agony!







So Saturday I brought Ripley in for the last minute adjustments...

- rewired the brakes to ease the hand pressure.

- got a new saddle just like Phoenix's

- checked the gears - need an overhaul Monday.







Everything good?

You never know till you put it to the test.

So Sunday AM I took Ripley out for a test century.





Perfect weather to test the bike - strong side wind all day long - beating us down all 100 miles...

from the left...




... and from the right




And I hurt....

Oh, did I hurt!

I hadn't hurt like that since I started training 4 months ago.

That new saddle?


Well, I hurried home to check and the nose of that saddle is a good 2 mm taller than Phoenix's nicely worn-in seat.


And that 2 mm in front causes pain I'd rather not describe.





And the brake wire? - well, it has moved but it still rubs the heel of my hand.








What do I do?

It's too late to change anything now.

It shipping out time!









My body will just have to adapt....






....or not.

3 comments:

KC SW said...

poor old mom =P

Katie said...

Wait ... you shipped your bike Monday (yesterday) or Monday (next week)? My bicycle won't be back from its overhaul and tune-up until Saturday when R&A boxes it up and I ship it out via FedEx. I hope my bicycle doesn't have to go ground ... or will it be ok?

Unknown said...

Katie - shipped it out yesterday...Al and I hope to bike in Portland Friday to remind her how to pedal. The bike shop in Portland wanted a day or two to unpack and put them together and I wanted to give my local bike shop the same packing time.
Fed-ex says 5 business days - weekends don't count.
Add it up and it was time to go.