Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 2 - St Helen's to Welches








Hard to get started today...



We have to load luggage by 6 AM....






Breakfast....









Sunscreen....




Stretches....









Al and I end up behind the group....

Not fun...

...feeling we have to hurry to catch up...






But the ride is excellent...

Perfect weather - 56 degrees, light tailwind...

Beautiful scenery....





Up over the Wilamette River...

The Wilamette Valley so rich and green...

This was the final destination for those incredible journeys of the past...

Lewis and Clark....

The Oregon Trail...

We are biking backwards through their history....






We coast along the Columbia River....





The river is high...

Record rains this year so far....

Ten inches in one week...



And they don't even have snow melt yet...
Snow? Where is snow?



Detour! What to do?








Intrepid bikers find a way...

...down to the lower path.







SAG stop at a lovely park...



We finally catch up with some fellow bikers....





Carl and Gayle...








 two cardiologists from Duluth Minnesota...

Carl met a man in China two years ago...

A man from Indiana by the way...

This man said - when I retired I biked across America...

Carl was inspired.

And here he is today....

As he biked slowly along he said..

- today will be the farthest I've ever biked in one day...

Notice he didn't say - if I make it.

I like this man.







OMG! We've biked 40 miles and now the climb starts!

Can we make it?

We're slow.

Our thighs are burning....

But we keep going...
















Up and up and up....



It seems like this hill will never end!










Stripping down...





Finally in the distance we see the goal...










The magnificent peak of Mt Hood!


Alone on the horizon....



...it dominates the landscape!




Of course, pictures!




The lady jogger asks - how do you like my mountain?

Can you imagine getting to see this mountain every day?

In thunder, snow, sunrise, sunset?



...getting towards the end of our day.






At mile 60 we stop for lunch at Calamity Janes...






Drinks...






...and berry cobbler...

At home Tom is picking fresh blueberries to eat...






Back on the road...

a little sluggish from food...

We pedal along slowly....







Tall, dark trees to either side....






Rhododendrons peaking through the shadows....








Finally The Resort...

Our classiest place to stay on this trip....



We get there barely in time for "route rap"

....anticipation of tomorrow ride...

Hard to get in laundry, blogging, dinner and sleep...






Can I keep this up?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying your blog so much Helen! You are an inspiration! Reading it on Monday, I realized I was sitting on my couch doing nothing constructive so I hit the gym. I actually ran on the treadmill for the first time. Not for long, but I actually did it! Another goal on my long list for this year! Thanks for motivating me to get moving!! Ride safe!! Jane T.

Rachel said...

HI. My name is Rachel Smith. I'm an interactive photo editor with Discovery Channel. We are going to be featuring your blog and journey on planetgreen.com. We'd love permission to use an image of your mom/daughter team to compliment our article! Of course it will link back directly to your blog. You can reach me at rachelksmithphoto@gmail.com

Cheers!

KC SW said...

I can't believe you got to stay at the resort =D it makes me happy =)

Cally Parkinson said...

Helen,

We are tracking your progress and cheering you on here in Long Grove and at Willow Creek. You are much admired and greatly loved. Hang in there and I hope you feel all that admiration and love in your tailwind.

From stormy Illinois,

Cally

Anonymous said...

Hey Al, you should take pictures of your legs periodically through out your journey! I can't wait to see how buff you get! lol

Andrea