Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

More than a Century





Take it easy, says Jay.

Dr. Glick says - You're in good enough shape. Don't overdo it.

You need a day off, says Tom.





but...

...."120 miles," whispers Phoenix, the bike.

"We can do it."









I could just rest...sleep until noon....





...miss this one sunrise.



















The blackbirds and prairie flowers don't need me this morning.






Weather.com adds its lure..."60-70 degrees. Light wind from the west."








And my legs feel so strong.

Calves, knees, core - ready to go.

How can I say no?





I could spend the day in the hammock and snooze.

Rest on the front porch and read a good book.

Maybe go the whole day and not notice the direction of the wind...

..the sprinkle of rain mid-morning...



...or the first spark of sunshine at noon.





And why would I want to miss all of that?

Phoenix and I want to charge out onto the road.

We have 120 miles to see...






... the goats are waiting for us at Shallowbrook farm forty miles from home...




...and there are little league games in Danville fifty miles away.

One kid hits the ball and all of the parents cheer...
...from both sides!




I win!







The clouds fill the sky as I turn back for home.
The heat rises.
The muscles begin to tire...
I feel the familiar ache in the shoulders.

I could take a break some time...
...end a day not starving for calories...
..not parched for thirst..
..not yearning for pillow and sheets...




A wise woman once told me....

There's no greater pleasure than water when you're really thirsty...
food when you're really hungry...
and a place to pee when you really need to.




In deprivation we find joy...

...and so....

I bike!

2 comments:

KC SW said...

to bad we don't have a hammock! and that awesome front porch is in New Castle with me!

Unknown said...

Luckily I don't need a hammock - I'm too busy riding!