Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

The End of Winter









Snow was melting.

Temperature 52 degrees.

Time for the end of winter bike ride.

The trees were poinky - that's what TJ called them when he was little. The Big Blue river was rushing with the snow melt. I saw flocks of red-winged blackbirds on poinky trees.

And a chipmunk (well, he was home filling his chubby cheeks with peanuts from the bird feeder).

I saw new young calves shy near their mothers. There were 3 very fluffy sheep wandering on the brown field.

We still had snow hidden under some tree shadows.

I got to bike by our prairie. The grasses were all brown. I wonder if we should burn it this year?

It was a good bike ride until mile 29 when it started to rain.

A cardinal rule of biking - when it starts raining, DO NOT STOP!

If you stop, you chill, your muscles turn to stone, it is miserable. So once it started raining I charged on though without a break. You keep going and going until...




Ahhh. Home! Strip off the biking clothes. Hot shower. Warm pjs and a kitty.

Best feeling in the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Helen. Need to say I am loving your blog. I check it every day on my lunch break and (obviously) on the weekends as well.

I purchased an under-armour type thing for the 80 ride (started at 40 degrees) and love it. Whenever I head out my door and the thermometer says 50 or under I put it on. Nice thing about SD is the ride is bound to warm up!
crs
Where do you get and where does your grass fed beef come from?

Unknown said...

I would buy grass fed beef from Traders Point - the organic farm just South of ZIonsville Meadows. I have met their Swiss brown cows and they seem very happy.

Nic buys hamburger from there.

But for Saturday's feast Tom bought the fixin's from Whole Foods. I don't know what farm the beef came from.

So glad you like the blog.

KC SW said...

Stubb loves his mommy so much! that is an adorable picture and I bet you are hating that you aren't biking today its almost 60 and very sunny!